Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring’s first drought



Drought isn’t the first word that comes to mind when I think of Portland in April, which is why it seemed perfectly acceptable to plant seeds last week. It was a regular plan. Plant seeds and then watch as the rain continues. One’s main concerns are that the seeds will wash away and pop up some place that was never intended and/or that they will be mowed down by slugs overnight. Not for a moment did it occur to me that a drought might be near. And if it had occurred to me, I wouldn’t have thought to check and see if the water had been turned on at the garden. Well, the drought came and the water doesn’t get turned on until April 15th. All of this is to say that on Sunday Tom and I found ourselves hauling five gallon buckets of water to the garden in an attempt to keep everything alive. 

I don’t want this to sound like I am ungrateful for the uncharacteristically dry and warm days. I’m not. In fact, it has been fun to be suddenly dropped into summertime life. Or maybe it is more accurate to say that I feel as if summertime life has dropped itself onto me. Colonel Summers park feels like I imagine New York City might have in the late 1970s. Or at least it looks like I imagine it would have. The place is awash with hipsters who have taken up sports. From American Apparel striped knee highs on the basketball court to dirty jeans, headbands and big beards in the baseball diamond (with a keg on second base), the park is one big party.
 
But, just over the fence, my little seeds are using all the energy they can muster to poke through a thick, hard ceiling of compost which has become dry and crusty in all this sun. No party for the seeds and little starts. No keg on second base. It is up to me to see them through this, one bucket of water (from home), at a time.

Here is what Tom and I planted this weekend:

Starts from the Urban Farm Store on 20th and Morrison:
Red Orach
Arugula
English Thyme
Hood Strawberries

*If you don’t know this place, check it out soon, before it is so packed that you have to elbow your way to the vegetables, herbs, small fruit trees, tea bushes, olives—and chicks! 

Starts from Wildcat Mountain Farm from People’s Coop: 

Red Kale

*People’s is a great place to pick up starts from Wildcat Mountain Farm, a local grower. Food Front also sells them. Later in the season, look to Wildcat for a good selection of tomatoes that are well suited to our climate.